sharing of IP addresses between ppp0 and eth0 (was Re: [pptp-server] proxy ARP)

Louis-David Mitterrand cunctator at apartia.ch
Tue Dec 14 07:58:42 CST 1999

On Mon, Dec 13, 1999 at 03:06:58PM -0800, tmk wrote:
> this means that the ip address you gave the client is not on the same
> subnet as the ethernet card that is supposed to be proxy arp'ing for it.
>
> If the clients aren't on the same subnet, then there isn't any reason to
> do proxy arp, since arp finds the mac address of an ip on the same subnet
> only. If the client is on a different subnet, then routing needs to be
> used.
>
> If you dont want to do routing, just make sure hte clcient's address is on
> the same subnet as the eth card that you want to do proxy arp for it.

Is it a problem if I assign the ppp0 adapter (local IP in pptp.conf) the
same IP address as the eht0 adapter? (It seems to work here but I want
to make sure I am not commiting some cardinal networking sin here ;-)

--
Louis-David Mitterrand - mito at aparima.com - http://www.aparima.com

Should crematoriums give discounts for burn victims?