[pptp-server] Help

tmk tmk at netmagic.net
Wed Jun 9 23:37:49 CDT 1999

we have had some discussions recently on just how many connections linux can
handle, and i think the max number was 1024 (well, 2048 concurrent
processes, each pptp connection uses 2, so say 1000 taking for graned that
some system processes will be lying around.. The default limit is 256
processes, more requires a kernel recompile) and that is just process
limits, i'm not sure how many ppp? devices linux allows. Maybe if you had
external ppp devices, or something compatible you could get around those
limits.

The type of data going across the server is largely irrelevant; conciveably
you could tunnel any sort of packet you want (ppp is the standard for pptp,
but with the GRE channel set up as it is, we could just as easily tunnel any
stream-based network protocol)

however, encryption doesn't work yet (though it is [and has been] a major
goal for quite some time), so you'll either have to wait or shell out the
big bucks for other solutions.

sorry
Kevin