[pptp-server] Auth

Gary Rule grule at esupportnow.com
Fri Nov 5 10:11:39 CST 1999

Hello,
    I'm trying to get poptop to work. I'm using version 1.0.0 with version
2.3.5 of ppp and I can get the connection to work without any authentication
but when I edit the /etc/ppp/options file and add

auth
+chap

I keep getting an error

pppd: peer authentication required but no authentication files accessible

I have made sure that the file is in the right place and that the format is
correct as well as the chap-secrets file I've made sure that I'm running as
root when executing and that the file has proper permissions.

Has anyone else run into this? I know that the pptpd documents suggests
using pppd 2.3.8 but I cannot modify the kernel at work for another 2
months.
Any help would be appreciated.

Gary Rule
It is impossible to make anything
foolproof because fools are so ingenious.