[pptp-server] Linux NAT support PPTP packet editor/filter?

Toktar, Emir EMIR.TOKTAR at bra.xerox.com
Thu Nov 18 16:34:34 CST 1999

Be careful!!

> If you want to do IPSEC with NAT you have to include the IPSEC
> MASQ

Refs: A Comprehensive Guide to Virtual Private Networks, IBM.
Virtual Private Networking: An Overview White Paper - DRAFT, 3/18/98
Microsoft.
"...
The weakness of NAT in context to VPNs is that by definition the NAT-enabled
machine will change some or all of the address  information in an IP packet.

When end-to-end IPSec authentication is used, a packet whose address has
been changed will always fail its integrity check under the AH protocol,
since any change to any bit in the datagram will invalidate the integrity
check value that was generated by the source.
Within the IETF, there is a working group that is looking at the deployment
issues surrounding NAT. This group has been advised by the Internet
Engineering Steering Group (IESG) that the IETF will not endorse any
deployment of NAT that would lead to weaker security that can be obtained
when NAT is not used. Since NAT makes it impossible to authenticate a packet
using IPSec¢ s AH protocol, NAT should be considered as a temporary measure
at best, but should NOT BE pursued as a long term solution to the addressing
problem when dealing with secure VPNs.
IPSec protocols offer some solutions to the addressing issues that were
previously handled with NAT.
..."

Refs:  ftp://ftp.rubyriver.com/pub/jhardin/masquerade/ip_masq_vpn.html
"...
VPN Masquerade is the part of IP Masquerade which enables you to use
IPsec-based and PPTP-based Virtual Private Network clients from behind a
shared-access firewall.

This is primarily used for masquerading IPsec and PPTP VPN clients:
IPsec
Client -.
        |   Linux                                  IPsec
PPTP   -+-> Masq and --> Internet --> Firewall --> or PPTP
Client  |   Firewall                               Server

Others -+

No other software is needed to masquerade VPN clients.
It can also be used to provide access to a Private Network IPsec or PPTP
server behind a Linux firewall...
IPsec                    Linux        Private-IP
or PPTP --> Internet --> Firewall --> PPTP or IPsec
Client                                Server
But,...
The IPsec AH protocol (51/ip) incorporates a cryptographic checksum
including the IP addresses in the IP header. Since masquerading changes
those IP addresses and since the cryptographic checksum cannot be
recalculated by the masquerading firewall, the masqueraded packets will fail
the checksum test and will be discarded by the remote IPsec gateway.
Therefore, IPsec implementations that use the AH protocol cannot be
successfully masqueraded. Sorry.
..."

Regards

Emir Toktar