[pptp-server] Still unable to get pptp to work

tmk tmk at netmagic.net
Thu Sep 23 23:35:57 CDT 1999

wow. thanks for the detailed logs. I'll truncate them for the sake of saving
bandwidth

Packets are obviously getting into your network (tcpdump shows that much),
and the intended host is replying, BUT it doesnt get there.

Stuff i noticed:

Your forward stuff is a little out of whack. unless you run a pptp client on
your linux box, you dont need the
${IPCHAINS} -A forward -p tcp -s ${EXT_IP} 1723 -j ACCEPT
line.. pptp doesnt use 1723 to reply from.
I think
${IPCHAINS} -A forward -p 47 -s ${EXT_IP} -j ACCEPT
Is also useless. your output firewall isnt blocking this, so you're fine.
your linux box is the source of all pptp traffic.

Only thing i can think of is that proxyarp isnt enabled or isnt working
properly
try
echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/proxy_arp
or
echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/ppp0/proxy_arp
if you are paranoid.. (this only works if ppp0 exists!)

you probably already have ip fowrading enabled.. but check that just in case
in case you didn't know..

you might also try
${IPCHAINS} -A forward -j MASQ -s ${INT_NET} -d  ! ${INT_NET}
instead of
${IPCHAINS} -A forward -j MASQ -s ${INT_NET} -d ${ANYWHERE}

Kevin