[pptp-server] quick question about file sharing and vpn

Jason Osborne jason at sohonetworks.cc
Mon Jul 3 17:40:08 CDT 2000

i just setup poptop and i must say it really kicks some major a**, but i
have one little problem. The boss said he wanted the vpn server to allow
our sales people to login to our nt server which is a pdc. i setup the
chap-secrets file like so:
DOMAIN\\test    *    test *

i even setup the pdc with the account. i tried it on the lan and logged
in just fine.

now, after playing with it, i figured this out. if i go into network
properties on win98se and setup a domain in client for microsoft
networks, i can get on the domain, but here is what i have to do. i have
to restart and login to the domain. of course it takes 30 seconds cause
the system can't find the domain. i login anyway and it tells me that
some features may not be accessible because no domain was found. then i
connect with ms vpn to my linux box and i can access the pdc's file
shares just fine.

the question really is, is there a way to get a domain login after i
connect to my linux box via vpn or can i get samba on the linux server
to start the prompt. by the way, i don't have samba setup currently and
if this matters, i don't think i setup the wins server yet on either the
linux box or nt.

any ideas, comments, or how-tos are much appreciated, rage-dca.