[pptp-server] PPTP and NAT?

Eric H. Raskin eraskin at paslists.com
Tue Jul 18 07:55:40 CDT 2000

Patrick:

Very interesting.  Their current setup is a T1 connected to a Cisco router
running NAT and packet filtering.  They have a DHCP server giving out internal
IP addresses.  I think I've figured out the configuration.  Do I have it right?

Client End:  Linux box with internal and external NICs.  Routing rules in the
Linux box to forward all traffic coming in on the internal NIC to my PPTP server
over the PPTP/PPP interface and out the external NIC.  Masquerading turned on
with the "PPTP Patch" so that PPTP connections are masqueraded as well (btw,
where is the patch located?).  A routing table entry is made on the Cisco
sending anyone asking for my PPTP server address to the Linux gateway box, which
will route the traffic.

My End:  My Linux box running PPTP server.  PPTP server gives out remote
addresses on a made-up sub-net and local addresses on my network.

Questions:
1)  Did I get it?  If not, please tell me how to configure...
2)  Does this mean I need a separate virtual IP address for my PPTP server on my
Linux box?  I'm worried about clients trying to access my web site -- which does
not require a PPTP link.  I guess there's no reason why all their traffice can't
come over the PPTP link, other than performance...  Any comments?