[pptp-server] question about vpn and domain login

Jose M. Sanchez opjose at ex-pressnet.com
Thu Jul 20 21:48:50 CDT 2000

Go to Microsoft's site and download the IEAK program.

Internet Explorer Administration Kit.

Install it. It contains a lot of things you will not need, but amoung them
is the Connection Manager.

The Connection Manager permits you to "package" a pre-setup connection to
your NT server.

It can include required file updates, VPN settings, etc.

You distribute the executable that it creates.

The user is presented with a nice "connect" screen and logon.

It effectively permits you to logon to the remote domain. The VPN logs
indicate that it does pass the domain name you indicate to PPTP server.

I have been unable to get browsing to work using this though, if the remote
machine is already a member of another domain. The docs state that this is
because shares are broadcast, and PPP does not route TCP broadcasts :-(

Setting up a WINS server on the remote site should fix this.

I haven't had time to play with this, but I have a very similiar situation.

My PDC/Wins server is NT based (ugh) at the remote site.

While I have Samba already set up to utilize the NT wins server, samba seems
to be unaware of it's existance.

You are supposed to be able to add the Samba server in to the list of BACKUP
Domain Servers via the Server Manager, which worked, but I still am not
seeing the PDC shares from Samba. SMBClient does log into the PDC however...

I believe this causes my remote clients not to see the shares on the LAN...

Anyway, if you get things worked out, let me know.

Thanks.

-JMS
opjose at ex-pressnet.com