[pptp-server] how do I setup PPTP?

David LANDGREN david.landgren at bpinet.com
Thu Nov 30 02:26:49 CST 2000

|configure PPTP correctly.  All the examples seem to use a dialup
connection.
|I have a permanent connection through eth1.  My local ip is through eth0.
|Does this mean the setup process is different?  Also I notice that most

Your two NICs in the machine have a private LAN address and the other with
an external public address? And your kernel can do IP forwarding?

I went through the same process (I think), and this is what I found.

/etc/pptpd.conf looks like this

pidfile /var/run/pptpd.pid
speed 115200
option /etc/ppp/options
debug
localip x.y.0.10 # private address of my tunnel box
remoteip x.y.3.1-254 # addresses I dole out to incoming clients

/etc/ppp/ppp.conf looks like this

loop-in:
 allow mode direct
pptp:
 set log phase lcp ipcp debug tun command lqm
 set timeout 0
 set speed 115200
 set ifaddr x.y.0.10 x.y.3.1/24 255.255.255.255
 set server /tmp/pptploop%d "" 0177 # to allow multiple connections
 set dns x.y.0.8 x.y.0.18
 set nbns x.y.0.1
 enable chap
 enable proxy
 enable dns
 enable lqr
 set device !/etc/ppp/secure

/etc/ppp/secure looks like

exec /usr/sbin/ppp -direct loop-in

/etc/ppp/options looks like

debug
name xxx
auth
require-pap
proxyarp
lock

Right now clients do not successfully negotiate the DNS servers I offer so
for the time being they are hard-coded in the client VPN config. And I
suppose I should switch off all the debug logging...

Hope this helps,
David
--
Paris Perl Mongers => http://paris.pm.org/