[pptp-server] A little lost here...

Adam Tauno Williams adam at morrison-ind.com
Thu Oct 19 07:54:24 CDT 2000

> Just wondering what this means. Could some explain.
>>"You won't have an SMP machine, but you must compile and test with
>>devel kernels with SMP " -- mom said
>Somebody on the Linux kernel development mailing list uses this as
>their sig, I do believe.  I always took it as an ironic comment on
>managements unrealistic expectations (and the way we somehow meet most
>of them).

The SMP featutes of the kernel can introduce bugs that only affect uni-processor
machines (the serial port driver had one awhile back that could hang a
uni-box).  I believe this is also my RH and other distro's ship with both a Uni
and SMP kernel, and theoretically the uni-processor kernel is more stable on a
uni-processor box than an SMP enabled kernel.  Thus it's always best to test
something with SMP enabled, even if you don't "really" have SMP.

Systems and Network Administrator
Morrison Industries
1825 Monroe Ave NW.
Grand Rapids, MI. 49505