[pptp-server] Problem: Multiple Win98 clients IP assigment and bandwith control

Wojciech Milc wojciech.milc at milc.com.pl
Thu Aug 2 02:50:43 CDT 2001

I don't think I could find it in list archive, so:

I need to set up a vpn server on linux machine which
will accept miltiple (up to 100 or more) connections
of win98 hosts. This looks like here:

[win98] [win98] ... [win98]
   |       |           |
   |       |           | - dial - up ppp links to various providers
   |       |           |   bandwidth range 33k - 512k
   |       |           |
[                         ]
[                         ]
[        INTERNET         ]-<>- X, Y, Z hosts outside country
[                         ]
[                         ]

             | - 2mbit SDSL line

      [linux machine]
      [with pptp    ]

The VPN shall be between win98 machines and linux machine.
The pourpose of this network is that win98 host's providers
have much worse international route throughput than my server
using SDSL. So i need to set a number of vpn's to each of
potential customers to allow them to get fast access to X, Y, Z
hosts outside country. The reason why I use VPN is that
my customers are mainly interested in low pings to various
multiplayer game servers wchich use various ports and sometime
even a peer to peer model (like Blizzard's Starcraft Broodwar)
so it is hard or even impossible to use some kind of the proxy
(like popular Hummingbird).

I can easily get that project working as it is explained above,
but there are some major problems which I have to face before
my project can be fully commercial. These are:

1. I don't know how to assign a specific (and ONLY that one) IP
to a specific login (I can assign an IP range to whole pptp).

2. It would be nice if second login to a specific account
from another machine will cause breakdown of existing link
on that account - this would happen if user would like to
use vpn from a home machine while he forgot to break the
vpn on another one at work.

3. I don't know how to control (limit) the throughput of
every single connection (for example one - cheaper - to 56 kbps
another - for another customer with other needs - to 256 kbps)
I only know how to limit throughput for the whole pptp.

Sinecerly

Wojciech Milc
wojciech.milc at milc.com.pl