[pptp-server] dialup over ethernetcard

Vu Pham vu at sivell.com
Thu Feb 15 20:43:30 CST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Daniel Brorsson (ERA)" <Daniel.Brorsson at era.ericsson.se>
To: <pptp-server at lists.schulte.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2001 5:52 AM
Subject: [pptp-server] dialup over ethernetcard

> Hello
>
> I have a small problem here.
>
> I have one laptop with win98se with vpn support installed with a pcmcia
ethernet card and one linux server with pptp 1.01 installed.

> How do i get the laptop to use the vpn connection.
>
> If i start a browser or dial up with the vpn connection there is an
accurat handshake an connection is establised... but then ?
> no more packets are sent with the vpn connection, but my browser still
works I´ll guess it´s using the ethernetcard directly outside the vpn. Is it
me that a complete fool ? how do i get the laptop to communicate over the
vpn connection and then over my ethernet card.

The routing table decide which device to use. After having the vpn
connection, you will have a device ppp0 on Win. And the routing table will
add the route to the internal network address that the vpn uses to go thru
this ppp0 device. If you don't choose "Default gateway at the remote site"
or something similar that in the Property of the Dialup networking, then the
default gateway is still the one you have before the vpn connection is
established.
The routing table says some like  ( make it simply ):
if go to 192.168.253.0/24 ( assuming this is the vpn network ) go thru ppp0
else go thru default gateway of the network card.

When you access to a machine inside the vpn ( assuming in the same LAN with
the vpn server ) then the packet will go thru the ppp0 . If you access the
Internet, then the packet will go thru the nic card.

Vu