[pptp-server] ADSL Connection

Cowles, Steve Steve at SteveCowles.com
Mon Jan 15 14:16:15 CST 2001

> I have been trying to connect to my poptop vpn server
> un-successfully from my home adsl connection.
>
> Has anyone been successful in getting this to work?

Yes

> If so what is your configuration.

768/128k ADSL circuit from Verizon.

> I have 1.2 down and 128K up Alcatel home connect adsl modem
> connecting to a Ascend pipleline 56K centrex circuit.

Unfortunately, there are as many flavors of xDSL as there are ice cream at
Baskin-Robins. My particular setup consists of an ADSL modem from Fujitsu
(not router) which then connects to my linux based router/firewall which
then forwards the inbound PPTP connection to my masq'd PopTop server running
on Redhat6.1. Whew!!

> I can use dial-up fine, but I would prefer to use me adsl line.

Sometimes this problem can be as simple as your router "blocking" the
inbound GRE protocol along with TCP port 1723. You might want to check.

Steve Cowles