[pptp-server] windows nat

Jamin Collins JaminC at adapt-tele.com
Thu Jul 5 07:06:54 CDT 2001

Michael Hayes [mailto:mick at kincrome.com] wrote:
> where I run into trouble is when I try and connect multiple
> clients from the same ip
PoPToP doesn't support this capability.  There have been talks recently
about this capability, which is contrary to the RFC (not to rehash the
arguments for both sides again).

> Both of these have trouble with more than one poptop client
> connection natting through it
As stated previously, your problem is not the natting solution, but that
PoPToP does not support multiple connections from the same IP.

There are few different ways around this problem.  One is to have multiple
external IP addresses for everyone that will need to make a connection at
the same time (this is probably not very feasible).  Another is to set up a
Windows box using some routing solution (WinRoute should work) and have this
box make the connection to the remote network.  Then update the routing
tables on the other user's systems to so the new box is used as their route
to the remote network.

Jamin W. Collins