[pptp-server] Problems connecting to PoPToP

Jim Sifferle jimsiff at newman.ens.tek.com
Wed Jul 18 15:04:27 CDT 2001

All,

I am having problems connecting to my PoPToP server.  When the client has a
specific IP defined in chap-secrets, the user can logon and access the network
just fine.  However, when I don't have a specific IP defined in chap-secrets,
and I have a range of IPs defined in pptpd.conf, I can't connect.  Looking in
the ppplog.txt files on the client, IPCP is not negotiating an IP address from
the range defined in pptpd.conf.  Why would this occur?  I have included my
/etc/ppp/options file, /etc/pptpd.conf file, and an example
/etc/ppp/chap-secrets file.

I am running RedHat 7.1, PPPD v2.4.1 w/ openssl, mschap, smbpasswd, and
chapms-strip-domain patches, and PPTPD v1.1.2.  Any help would be much
appreciated.

Regards,

Jim

/etc/ppp/options

name *
lock
mtu 1490
mru 1490
proxyarp
auth
+chap
+chapms
+chapms-v2
chapms-strip-domain
ipcp-accept-local
ipcp-accept-remote
lcp-echo-failure 3
lcp-echo-interval 30
deflate 0
mppe-128
mppe-40
mppe-stateless
debug

/etc/pptpd.conf

speed 115200
debug
localip 192.168.67.2
remoteip 192.168.67.31-35
listen 192.168.67.2

/etc/ppp/chap-secrets

# Secrets for authentication using CHAP
# client        server  secret          IP addresses

  test1         *       testing1        *
  test2         *       testing2        192.168.67.30