[pptp-server] PPTP and Windows network browsing.

Gustin Johnson gustin at echostar.ca
Tue Jun 19 10:03:58 CDT 2001

In my smb.conf on the samba server I set it to be the primary wins
server (wins support = yes  in smb.conf).  For the internal LAN the
DHCP assigns the samba box as the  primary wins server.
In /ppp/options I set the ms-wins ip to point to the samba server's
ip.  We also disabled netbeui on all client computers.

Windows 9x and win2k clients all are now able to browse the  network
both when they are local (physically connected to the LAN) and
remotely via pptp.

Also note that in your smb.comf you have to set a valid samba user as
the guest account (guest account = someuser).  This username is what
is used for browsing so make sure that it has sufficient permissions
for doing so, just don't give it admin access.  Local master and
prefered master both set to yes.

Hope this helps,
__
Gustin