[pptp-server] GRE Errors.

Joe Ward jward at cem.msu.edu
Wed Mar 14 12:34:21 CST 2001

I have pptpd setup on my redhat 6.2 box

everything works just fine (browsing, forwarding,etc.) my problem is that I
am getting some major GRE errors

here is just a snippet:

Mar 14 10:06:22 liquid pptpd[11833]: CTRL: Starting call (launching pppd,
opening
GRE)
Mar 14 10:06:22 liquid pptpd[11833]: GRE: Discarding duplicate packet
Mar 14 10:06:58 liquid pptpd[11833]: GRE: Discarding out of order packet

and this is just from sending a single e-mail message.  I can go back and
dig up logs were I get like 30 or 40 of them in a row when I try to
transfer a file or get a web page.  obviously discarding packets is going
to slow down my connection.  But I don't know if it's bad enough to have to
worry about it.  or is this just something that happens.

there are 16 hops between the two 1/2 of them are campus routers for the
fiber optic backbone and such.

for background:

Server:
Pptpd 1.0.1 patched for mschap
pppd 2.3.11 patched for encryption
redhat 6.2 kernel 2.2.16-3
Trinity OS firewall modified to allow for the pptp traffic to be forwarded
and such.
Cable modem (@home)

Workstation:
Toshiba Laptop