[pptp-server] Radius Support

Josh Howlett Josh.Howlett at bristol.ac.uk
Sun Nov 4 06:27:45 CST 2001

On Sat, 3 Nov 2001, Steve Langasek wrote:

> Blake,
>
> On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 05:32:57PM -0600, Parker Blake MIS wrote:
> > Does this daemon support user authentication against a radius database?
>
> pptpd does not do authentication, it passes that part off to pppd.  If
> you have a pppd server that can authenticate (and accept IP assignments)
> from a RADIUS server, that's all you need.  Note that, in order to
> support MPPE encryption in pptp, you must be able to do MSCHAPv2
> authentication over RADIUS.  As far as I know, the software to do this
> does not yet exist for Unix, although I'm currently hacking on Linux
> pppd and freeradiusd to provide this support.

I've been looking at this myself.  The closest someone has come to this
(to my knowledge) is James Maclean (also on this list) with his
crap_chap patch.  This consists of a patch against pppd and XTradius.
However, IIRC, this is a bit of a dirty hack that takes some
"short-cuts" :-) (ie. MPPE keys derived at pppd rather than at radiusd).

I would be very interested in helping in this.  How far have you got,
and what remains to be done?

josh.

Josh Howlett, Network Supervisor,
Networking & Digital Communications,