[pptp-server] Speed/performance problems with v0.9.10 and 98

Rick Matlock rmatlock at calltech.com
Thu Aug 5 18:02:46 CDT 1999

I am having some pretty bad performance problems with Windows 98 and
PoPToP v0.9.10.

I will describe the networks first:
Server: two 10MB cards, one on an external net and one on an internet
network.  I have PoPToP v0.9.10 installed (clean) and pppd v2.3.8
(unpatched).  It is a pentium 120 with 64MB ram, Redhat 6.0 and Kernel
2.2.7 installed. This machine is connected through a Cisco router
through a single T1 to the internet.

Client: Celeron 333, Windows 98 + misc patches.  This machine is
connected directly to a cable modem (Time Warner's Road Runner).

I can get the tunnel up without a problem.  I can't ping immediately
after I connect.  After about 2-3 seconds, I can ping things (The other
side of the tunnel).  I then get MAJOR packet loss and VERY slow pings
through the tunnel.  I have averaged about 23% packet loss and an
average ping time of over 10000 MS (short being 100 and long being
35000).

My pptpd configuration is:

speed 115200
localip 10.129.0.5