[pptp-server] GRE protocol - security

Kurt Vlaminck kurt at skypro.be
Tue Aug 17 08:07:55 CDT 1999

Hello,

I am new to this mailing list so apologise if this questions has already
been treated.

I saw that you need to open the GRE protocol in both ways
(outgoing/incoming) when implementing a PPTP server behind a firewall. Is't
this a security issue as you have to open ports into both directions?
I need to be sure when opening these ports on the firewall that this
protocol on port 47 is completely safe.

Pse comments are more than welcome.

                  _____________________________________
                 |           BELGACOM Skynet  n.v./s.a.           |
                 |                     Kurt Vlaminck                        |
                 |           Senior Internet Field Engineer            |
	     _|        Kol. Bourgstraat 124, Evere 1140          | _
              / )|     tel.+32 2 7060516 - fax. +2 2 7061312      |( \
             / / |         E-mail: kurt at skypro.be                       | \ \
            ( (  |    homepage: http://www.skynet.be              |  ) )
          (\\\\ \_/
       \       /