[pptp-server] Initial setup problems

Robert Lankshear rlankshear at comset.co.uk
Fri Aug 27 04:24:27 CDT 1999

Greetings,

I'm making the assumption that you have PoPToP installed and running on the
Dual-Homed Firewall machine that also performs Masquerading.

If you followed the rules from the IP Masq. How To then you would have
executed the following configuration:

ipchains -P forward DENY
ipchains -A forward -i eth0 -s <addr/mask> -j MASQ

This pushes all traffic going from eth0 into the Masquerade code AND DENIES
all other forwards.. including down the PPP link.

To stop this I used the following:

ipchains -A forward -i ! eth0 -s <addr/mask> -j ACCEPT which is a bit wide
in scope.

ipchains -A forward -i ppp+ -s <addr/mask> -j ACCEPT may also work too :).

I had this problem but have solved it with this additional config line. I
do not have any of the kernel patches for PPTP or port forwarding installed
as I found that these are not neccessary when the Firewall is the PPTP
server BUT no internal clients will be able to access EXTERNAL PPTP servers
in this mode.. which is not something I needed to do.

TTFN

Robert J Lankshear