[pptp-server] trouble connecting

Matthew C. Grab mis at cindyrowe.com
Wed Dec 8 09:32:56 CST 1999

Hi, I hope someone can point me to an easy fix for this.  This is what I've
got, and this is what's happening.
Thanks for all your help so far!
Matt Grab
mis at cindyrowe.com

I'm trying to get PPTP working with an Alcatel A1000 ADSL modem.

I've taken all the steps necessary to get to this point.  Recompile kernel,
recompile ppp, compile pptp.

This is the command I run, "pptp 10.0.0.138 user crags7 debug kdebug7."

At this point, I get these messages on the screen.
-----------------
log[pptp_dispatch_ctrl_packet:pptp-ctrl.c:533]:client connection established
log[pptp_dispatch_ctrl_packet:pptp-ctrl.c:639]:outgoing call established

* few second pause *

warn[decaps_gre:pptp_gre.c:239]:discarding out of order

I've done a tail -f /var/log/messages, and this is what shows up there.
------------------
log[pptp_dispatch_ctrl_packet:pptp-ctrl.c:533]:client connection established
modprobe: can't locate module char-major-108
pppd: pppd 2.3.10 started by root, uid 0
kernel: ppp_ioctl set dbg flags to 70000
kernel: ppp_ioctl set flags to 70000
pppd: using interface ppp0
pppd: connect ppp0 <-> /dev/ttya0
kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl set xasyncmap
kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl set xmit asyncmap ffffffff
kernel:ppp_ioctl: set flags to 70000
kernel:ppp_ioctl: set mru to 5dc
kernel:ppp_tty_ioctl: set rcv asyncmap ffffffff
pppd: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
pppd: connection terminated
kernel: ppp: channel ppp0 closing
pppd: Exit

Looking in my pppd.log, this is what I find: