[pptp-server] pppd will not connect

Yan Seiner yan at cardinalengineering.com
Mon Dec 13 13:47:27 CST 1999

OK, maybe I am doing something really off the wall.  All I am trying to
do right now is recompile pppd with the mppe patches, then use it to
dial in to my ISP.

Basically take ppp-2.3.10 source, apply the patches, recompile, copy the
appropriate rc4 files to drivers/net, recompile and install modules,
rmmod ppp, slhc, and compression modules, insmod same, and try to dial
in.

I can dial in and connect using the stock pppd that came with the
distro.

I am not even trying to do anything with pptpd yet.

My ISP apparently does not authenticate via CHAP, only PAP.  The
recompiled pppd insists on CHAP, even when the options file says
otherwise.

I am using rh 6.0, 2.2.13 kernel.

Any help at all is appreciated.

--Yan