[pptp-server] AtmPvc option in PPTP Client for Linux

Andrei Sava andreisv at isdn.net.il
Tue Dec 14 17:02:25 CST 1999

Hello,

Although this issue is not directly related to the PPTP server but to the client, i thought that perhaps someone in this mailing list might be able to help...

I am connecting to the Internet through an ADSL connection, using PPTP.

In order to configure my connection in Windows, i set up a VPN PPTP dialup, specifying as IP address "10.10.20.62 0510".
The parameter 0510 that follows the IP is called ATM-PVC port, and is required in order to establish the connection.

I would like to connect to the internet using my linux box, but the linux PPTP client (www.pdos.lcs.mit.edu/~cananian/Projects/PPTP/) does not support sending the
AtmPvc parameter.

Following is some information about AtmPvc:

I am using an Orckit FastInternet ADSL modem (www.orckit.com).

This parameter is actually a string that is being sent by the dialup adapter to the modem. It is not treated by the modem as a number but as a string. Different
configurations require a parameter that contains letters.

The paramter is used for ISP selection.

I can telnet into my modem and watch connection status (using the command 'event show').

This is the status output when using the linux client, that does not send the ATM parameter:

MSG_R_LISTEN new r
NEW RX type (1 )
send_packet size 156
new_server_socket f 5932896
pptp MSG_R_RECVr
NEW RX type (7 )
TU:set_ipmac ip = 10.10.20.35  r - 23140a0a l- 3e140a0a
TU:get_atmPvc lenght- 0 adddres =                <------------
handle_new_outcall atm pvc short                  <------------
send_packet size 32
pptp MSG_R_RECVr
NEW RX type (3 )
handle_con_msg (0):PPTP_STOP_SESSION_REQUEST reason=3
TU:closetunnel (0)
send_packet size 16
closeTCP f 5951392

As you can see the modem refused conection without the atm pvc option.
When the parameter is specified (using "10.10.20.62 0510" as the IP in Windows dialup adapter), connection is established:

pptp: MSG_R_LISTEN new r
NEW RX type (1 )
send_packet size 156
new_server_socket f 5914400
pptp MSG_R_RECVr
NEW RX type (7 )
TU:set_ipmac ip = 10.10.20.35  r - 23140a0a l- 3e140a0a
TU:get_atmPvc lenght- 4 adddres = 0510                 <---------------
TU succes new call on pvc L.I= 1 F.I 0 GRE.I 1       <---------------
send_packet size 32
pptp MSG_R_RECVr
NEW RX type (15 )

Please inform me if you have any ideas how i can patch the PPTP linux client to send the atmPvc parameter to the modem.

Thanks,
Andrei Sava
andreisv at isdn.net.il