[pptp-server] PPTP w/data encryption: works w/W98, not NT

Patrick J. LoPresti patl at cag.lcs.mit.edu
Mon Dec 20 08:22:22 CST 1999

Nathan Meyers <nmeyers at javalinux.net> writes:

> I've ended up with a PPTP setup that works flawlessly with Win98 and
> WinNT clients *without* data encryption, and with a Win98 client
> using data encryption (after applying the MS dun40.exe update). But
> I cannot get encryption to work with the WinNT client.

We have similar behavior here, and it seems to be related to the
"Unsupported protocol" errors I and others have reported to this list.

Could you try setting the "debug" option in /etc/ppp/options and in
/etc/pptpd.conf, then editing syslog.conf to capture daemon.* and
local2.* to a log file?  If yours is the same problem, there will be a
slew of "Unsupported protocol" messages from pppd before the
disconnect.

What service pack are you on with NT?  (We are on 6a here).  My guess
is that MickeySoft added some nonstandard protocol field compression
to their PPP implementation in some service pack.  If so, we need to
reverse-engineer it...

 - Pat