[pptp-server] PPTP w/data encryption: works w/W98, not NT

Nathan Meyers nmeyers at javalinux.net
Mon Dec 20 18:27:02 CST 1999

"Patrick J. LoPresti" wrote:

> "Geoff Nordli" <geoff at gnaa.net> writes:
>
> > I am running NT 4, Sp6a without a problem.
> >
> > I am using ppp2.3.8, with the mppe patches.
> >
> > I use Data Encyption, Stateless, chapms-v2.
>
> Yours is similar to our configuration, only with ppp 2.3.10 instead of
> 2.3.8.
>
> We have some people connecting with SP6a with no problem; others get
> the dreaded "unsupported protocol" error cascade repeatedly.  Tonight
> we are testing my new theory that it is correlated with using a NAT
> (IP masquerading) box, although I have no theory about how that could
> matter.  Both problem users can do PPTP to a NT Server just fine, even
> from behind their NAT boxes.

Well, that's encouraging, in its way :-(. There is no NAT or firewall
involved in my configuration; the client is NT running in a VMWare
window on the server box, connecting through VMWare's pseudo-network
device. (Needless to say, this is preparation for a deployment to
*other* client machines not running inside VMWare processes :-)

I'm eager to learn the result of your experiments.

Nathan