[pptp-server] PPTP and encryption...

Brian Ledbetter bledbetter at ael-peo.com
Wed Dec 22 15:22:56 CST 1999

> > I have a FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE box running a custom-compiled pppd-2.3.8
> > with the MSCHAP and MPPE patches, and with PoPToP 1.0, both compiled as
> > described on the PoPToP web page.  The problem I'm encountering is this:
> > When connecting to the VPN server, unencrypted authentication (i.e. CHAP)
> > works okay, but encrypted (MSCHAP,MSCHAP-V2) authentication fails.  Enclosed
> > are my configuration files.  Anyone have any ideas on what would be causing
> > this strangeness?
>
> Is your client running NT? If so, this looks similar (but not quite
> identical) to the problem I reported a few days ago. There seems to be
> some magic button to allow NT to use encryption with a PoPToP server,
> but nobody has been able to name the button... some boxes happen to have
> it, some do not.

I've tried with 98-SE, NT 4.0, and Win2k Advanced Server beta 3 clients.
Micro$loth must be using the encryption-algorithm-of-the-day... :)

  / _ )____(_)__ ____ 				        Brian C. Ledbetter
 / _  / __/ / _ `/ _ \				 American Employee Leasing
=[bledbetter at ael-peo.com]==============[http://www.shadowcom.net/~brian]==