[pptp-server] OK, I've been seeing things that indicate this works..

Joe Beauchamp jbeauchamp at 4anything.com
Wed Dec 22 18:33:27 CST 1999

I'm having a nasty time just trying to make the basics work.  I have a PC win98 being masqueraded through a linux box and something is not getting through because it fails differently from when I move it to the other side of the box.

I would think that this is a common setup -- machines behind a "firewall" masq'd and doing VPN to elsewhere.  Now, when I send the connection to another linux box running pptpd, it connects, but I don't see machines.  So, I've read here about adding lmhosts, wins via samba, and that it could be routing.  I'm still stuck.

1. what is being stopped from connecting when I have the masq'd machine going through linux to an NT VPN on the other side of the linux box?

2. Why can't I see those computers?  I can see them if I overtly put in an IP instead of the computer name.  Still using LMHOSTS, WINS.

This **IS** supposed to be the easy part, right?

Using linux-2.2.14p16 (thought a new kernel might fix some problems -- didn't).
dhcpd running for the masq'd machine 192.168.2.10 and the machines on the other side of linux have real addresses.

I'm using ipchains (it would be nice to put that up first in the documentation since I spent a long while studying the older stuff that I didn't need to know for the 2.2 kernels -- I think).

Isn't there a simple formula to set this up?  Thanks for pointers!!!

-- Joe Beauchamp