[pptp-server] problem connecting Win2000 client (almost there though..)

Patrick J. LoPresti patl at cag.lcs.mit.edu
Thu Dec 23 09:00:44 CST 1999

Louis-David Mitterrand <cunctator at apartia.ch> writes:

> Hi,
>
> There is no problem with Win98SE clients, but for the life of me I
> can't succeed in connecting my Win2000-RC3 laptop to our Linux
> firwall. After a successful MSCHAP-v2 authentication the process
> hangs (and terminates) with these messages which make no sense to
> me:
>
> Dec 23 10:33:43 sargon modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
> ppp-compress-18

This suggests you aren't using encryption...  You need the following
line in /etc/conf.modules so that the kernel can find the MPPE code:

  alias ppp-compress-18 ppp_mppe

The problem may be that your Win2k box is set to require encryption
but the Win98SE one is not.  Note that there is no way to tell pppd to
require encryption, because pppd thinks of it as "compression", not
encryption.

 - Pat