[pptp-server] Re: Problem connecting over Dialup connection

Martin A. Walker maw at synesis.net
Thu Dec 23 17:51:21 CST 1999

I had what sounds like the same symptoms as you, and spent a few hours tearing out (what's left of) my hair over it. Then on a whim I decided to try and be dialled up to an ISP at the same time as trying to connect over my LAN from my Win98 laptop to my Redhat 6.1 server running PoPToP. This had previously worked fine, but it wouldn't work when I just happened to be dialled up on the modem on my laptop at the same time. I thought this was suspicious so I went looking on the Microsoft support pages and found (the enclosed) article Q188141. When I duly un-installed and re-installed VPN support, it all started working, both locally, and over dial-up.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards,
Martin Walker.

--- snip ---
      Err Msg: The Microsoft Dial-Up Adapter Is in Use or Not...

  a.. Microsoft Windows 95
  b.. Microsoft Windows 98

SYMPTOMS
When you attempt to make a Virtual Private Networking (VPN) connection using Point to Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP), you may receive the following error message:

  The Microsoft Dial Up adapter is in use or not responding properly. Disconnect other connections and then try again. If this problem persists, shut down and restart your computer. Error 645.

When you click OK, you can connect to the Internet, but you are unable to establish a PPTP connection.

CAUSE
This behavior can occur if "Dial-Up Adapter #2 (VPN Support)" is not installed in Network properties.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this behavior, reinstall Virtual Private Networking. To do so, follow the steps in the appropriate section below:

Windows 98
Remove and then reinstall Virtual Private Networking using the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel. To do so, follow these steps:

  1.. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.

  2.. Double-click Add/Remove Programs.

  3.. Click the Windows Setup tab.

  4.. Click Communications, and then click Details.

  5.. Click the Virtual Private Networking check box to clear it, click OK, and then click Apply.

  6.. Repeat steps 3-5, but click the Virtual Private Networking check box to select it.

  7.. Click OK.

Windows 95
Reinstall the Dial-Up Networking 1.3 Upgrade. For information about how to obtain and install the Dial-Up Networking 1.3 Upgrade, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

  ARTICLE-ID: Q191494
  TITLE : Dial-Up Networking 1.3 Upgrade Available

MORE INFORMATION
If you remove and then reinstall Microsoft Virtual Private Networking Adapter in Network properties, "Dial-Up Adapter #2 (VPN Support)" is not reinstalled.

Additional query words: kbimu

Keywords          : kberrmsg kbnetwork kbtool dun win95 win98
Version           : WINDOWS:95
Platform          : WINDOWS
Issue type        : kbprb
--- snip ---