[pptp-server] cannot connect from remote network

Nico De Ranter nico at sonycom.com
Mon Jul 5 09:33:05 CDT 1999

Howdy,

this issue seems to have risen a few times but I never saw an answer.

I have the following problem:

I set up a PPTP server on a Linux box. The clients are running Linux,
Win95/Win98 or WinNT.  The network setup looks kindof like the following:

                                       |client 1|

      -----net A--------|FW|-------net B----------
         |                               |
   |pptp server|                      |cisco|

                                    pstn or isdn

                                      |client 2|

Client 1 connects to a virtual ip-address on net B which is
converted and forwarded (NAT) by the firewall to the pptp server.  This
setup works perfectly.

Now I take exactly the same client 1 and have it dialin to the
cisco with exactly the same configuration as client 2.  The dialin setup is
ok (I can surf the net and do whatever I want). However I can only connect
to the pptp server once.  If I disconnect and reconnect again the logon hangs
during ppp negotiation.  If I dialin again with client 2 and get another
ip-address assigned by the Cisco, it again works only once.
If I reboot client 2 to another OS and connect again with the same ip-address,
it will have the same problem.  After some time I'm able to logon again.
Note: the pstn and isdn dialins use different cisco routers but they both have
the problem.

Any idea what might be wrong.

Nico

How do you tell when you run out of invisible ink?
Nico De Ranter
Sony Service Center (SUPC-E/NSSE)
Sint Stevens Woluwestraat 55 (Rue de Woluwe-Saint-Etienne)
1130 Brussel (Bruxelles), Belgium, Europe, Earth
Telephone: +32 2 724 86 41 Telefax: +32 2 726 26 86
e-mail: nico.deranter at sonycom.com