[pptp-server] pptpd still not handling dropped connectionsproperly?

Bitt Faulk wfaulk at totalsports.net
Thu Jun 3 18:51:17 CDT 1999

On Thu, 3 Jun 1999, tmk wrote:

> Also, the latest versions of pptpd should have some built-in link status
> detection and such, so if the link goes down, it should AT LEAST kill off
> gre. So to Bitt, download the latest ver of pptpd and see if that solves
> your problem.

I'm running v0.8.7 already.

> Last thing is we don't have a really clean way to kill a pppd connection.
> anyone know of a way to do it? the problem is that pptpd daemonizes itself
> and gets a new pid, leaving us with no way to kill it. we could get the pid
> from the lockfile, or we might be able to use nodetach, but there must be a
> better way.

I would be inclined to use nodetach.  I haven't really delved into your
code, but there's another guy out there who has some info on a
non-standards-based VPN that runs pppd over an ssh connection.  He uses a
home-grown program called pty-redir to grab both ends of a
pseudo-terminal, and you guys might find that code useful, or not.  Also,
it doesn't work at all under (at least) Solaris, due to some differences
in pty implementation.
 (http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/mini/VPN.html)

Also, I'm sure you're aware that pppd writes its pid in /var/run/ppp?.pid
under linux, and that you can't figure a clean way to grab the right one,
but, then again, maybe that was the one piece of informtaion you needed.

> thanks for helping out. I'm surprised to hear that our product is working
> better than NT. I know the win9x pptp client has real problems, but i
> figured NT would be better. Go opensource :)

_Been_ opensource.  If I had more time, I'd be helping more than just
submitting bug reports.

And nothing about NT not working properly surprises me.

-Bitt