[pptp-server] Errors 650 629 645

David Luyer luyer at ucs.uwa.edu.au
Sun Jun 6 09:14:45 CDT 1999

I think you have a pppd problem rather than a PoPToP problem.

What is the client?  What is your pppd config file like?

Here is my (working) pppd config file, but this is being used over a secure
network for a different purpose than 'standard' VPN:

===
ms-dns 1.2.3.4
ms-dns 5.6.7.8
asyncmap 0
auth
local
lock
hide-password
netmask 255.255.255.255
+pap
-chap
debug
erpcd 1.2.3.4
192.168.111.111:
lcp-echo-interval 30
lcp-echo-failure 4
noipx
===

(IP addresses changed, except for 192.168.11.111 which is actually what
I use as the local end of the pptpd connections; it turned out if I used
the eth0: address, Win95/98 were fine but Linux clients got totally confused
routing tables for obvious reasons)

I am using the PoPToP configuration option --with-pppd-ip-alloc (and
--with-libwrap), and a modified pppd (gets IP addresses from an erpcd).

My Win98 LAN clients work from a clean boot with no problem.  Ditto Win95
(with DUN update 1.3 + sockets fix, etc).  Trying it from a dialup here
would be.. interesting.. since the same IP address is allocated to dialup
connections as to PPTP connections for a given username (and all my test
accounts are dialed up or connected testing things anyway...).

Probably insignificant, but what MTU is your dialup connection using?
More significantly, are you aware of any firewalling between where you dial
up to and the VPN server?

David.