[pptp-server] FW: PPTP. PAP. and the compaq Microcom.

Ben Leibig leibig at interfaze.net
Thu Jun 10 15:58:54 CDT 1999

I was wondering if anyone could help me.

I don't have a real good understanding of PPTP, it seems very complicated,
I'd be interested in sources of more information.  Regardless it seems
fairly easy to setup and I just want to get it to work..  I think a lot of
people would be interested in my application and I'd be happy to share my
success story once I get it working....

I own a Compaq Microcom 4000.  This modem pool supports ISDN over a PRI t1,
however it insists on using PPTP to do so.  I'm not really sure how this
works as the Compaq docs are very unclear.  I would assume it basically
builds a tunnel for each ISDN connection to the server and then connects
with them using standard PPP.  My problem is.  It seems like ISDN users
would be dialing in via PAP, not CHAP... Is there any support in the PPTP
daemon for chap, or is this solely the duty of pppd in which case this won't
be a problem.

More over, and I realize this may be more hardware specific.  Is there
anyway I can tell if a user is connecting with one channel(64k) or
two(128k).  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  My main question is
wether I can use PoPToP with PAP.

	Thank you for your time,
			Ben Leibig
			Technical Director