[pptp-server] Re: [pptp-server] Fw: Error 629 with client Windows NT

David Luyer luyer at ucs.uwa.edu.au
Fri Jun 18 18:43:04 CDT 1999

> Jun 16 22:16:44 devel1 pppd[1222]: The remote system is required to
> authenticate itself but I
> Jun 16 22:16:44 devel1 pppd[1222]: couldn't find any suitable secret
> (password) for it to use to do so.

The above is the error, a pppd problem not a pptpd problem.

> # Secrets for authentication using PAP
> # client          server    secret     IP addresses
> lagre\\user1      obelix    passw1    <blank record?>
> lagre\\user2      xyz       passw2    <blank record?>

The problem could easily be the \\'s.  You might need to use \\\\
or something like that as \ is the traditional Unix quote character
so \\ is probably needed to indicate \.

You can just use 'simple' usernames if you want, like user1 and user2,
but if your clients are used to the lagre\\user1 format then I guess it's
best to stay consistent.

David.