[pptp-server] Security ?

pspinto at esoterica.pt pspinto at esoterica.pt
Tue Jun 22 08:29:30 CDT 1999

Hi there :)

I'm kind'a new on this and not a real 'expert' in Linux, so forgive my
possible errors (and btw the poor english also ;) ).

I'm starting to deploy (in fact just still planning to) some kind of
access to our corporate network (NT) using the internet. As our firewall
is a Linux box (running RH6), I was considering using the PPTPD, as it
is more simple to have just one machine connected to the net (er.. and
I don't like Neanderthal Technology, also ;) ).

Ok.. enough talk.. the problem is that I'm concerned about security,
and I've read an article ( http://www.counterpane.com/pptp.html ) that
points out some security issues on PPTP.

The question is: does PoPToP suffer from the same issues ? or it's only
the WinNT Server version of PPTP that's vulnerable ?

Hugz to all

Paulo Pinto
pspinto at esoterica.pt