[pptp-server] Encryption Problem

locutus at imsa.edu locutus at imsa.edu
Thu Nov 4 16:03:06 CST 1999

Hello all.

I have successfully installed PoPToP 1.0.0 on a RedHat 6.0 (kernel 2.2.5)
system.  I can connect to it from any 98 host, and can communicate with
any host on my private network.  However, when I check "require encrypted
authentication" within the DUN properties on the client, I am no longer
able to communicate with the private network.  The DUN connection can
still be established, and the correct IP is assigned, but communication
is impossible.  I have installed the ppp-mppe patch, recompiled the kernel,
and have loaded all of the necessary modules.  I have also installed SSLeay
0.6.6b.  In addition, I have installed the DUN 4.0 update per the HOWTO.
This happens from multiple clients, some running 98 and some running 98se.
None of these have helped.  Here is what I find in /var/log/pptpd.log:

pppd[1735]: MPPE 40 bit, stateless compression enabled
pppd[1735]: Script /etc/ppp/ip-up finished (pid 1736), status = 0x0
pppd[1735]: rcvd [proto=0x4da7] cd 80 08 8a be c6 bc f1 4d 6e ad a5 04 2e
91 1f 96 1d b5 3d b0 f4 92 12 0c f9 a6 ce
pppd[1735]: Unsupported protocol (0x4da7) received

The last two lines continue, with a different set of numbers in the
"unsupported protocol" line, until I disconnect.  Here is my /etc/ppp/options:

lock
debug
auth
+chap
+chapms
+chapms-v2
mppe-40
mppe-128
mppe-stateless
name punk
require-chap
proxyarp

I have run out of ideas.  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Michael Holl
locutus at imsa.edu