[pptp-server] Re: [LRP] cant ping the client and others

Christopher Kuhl chrisk at ciris.net
Thu Nov 4 19:08:53 CST 1999

Actually, I am connecting to an isp an each side, one with isdn, and the
other just an analog modem.  On the server side I start up popotop and wait
for incoming GRE connections.  On the client side I start a GRE session with
the linux pptp client.  The gre session is between the ip's that I get from
my isp's.  Once this tunnel is up, my poptop server starts a ppp session
through the tunnel.  This is how I can use the 10.111.XXX.XXX ip's, they are
being encapsulated accross the net, so they are not vissible during
transport.  This is basicaly how vpn's work.  The remote ip's I was
referring to is the ip's that pppd assigns and passes to the ip-up and
ip-down scripts.  One the client side, I get a local and remote ip, the
remote is my gateway back to the host poptop server, and the same goes for
server side.  The ip that it issues me is it's gateway back to my network.
I am now considering running ciped on another port and use there ipip
solution to see if I still have the same routing problems with another
tunnel, and just use poptop for windows clients, which work fine right know.

Thanks for the input, and let me know if you think of something.