[pptp-server] routing realworld ip addresses via pptp

tmk tmk at netmagic.net
Wed Nov 17 19:08:06 CST 1999

can you be more specific about what you want to do? the ascii is either
wrong or it didnt come through right.

here's what i think you're trying to say:
you have a block of real ip's (btw, x.x.x.x/240 isnt standard notation
usually when you do /## it is the #of bits in the subnet mask. so
255.255.255.240 would be x.x.x.x/28) and a block of fake ip's. Both blocks
are routed through a linux router to the internet via an adsl connection.
Somewhere else on the internet is a different linux router/firewal, which is
the gateway to your work LAN. You want to connect the ADSL guys' network and
the fake ip guys network (which seem to share the same LAN, or at least the
same router) to the work network via a secure channel, keeping the current
IP addresses as the way of talking back and forth between the 3 networks.

Regardless of how you connect the 3 networks, there will be a tunnel created
between the linux boxes. Each side has its own ip address (which doesnt need
to be in any of the current subnets, let's call the ADSL ip A and the work
ip B). Once that is up, you will need to tell the ADSL router (via a static
route) that there is a route to the work network with the gateway being B,
and the work network that there is a route to the adsl network with the
gateway being A, and there is a route to the fake ip network with the
gateway being A.

As far as creating the tunnel, that is up to you. pptpd + pptp client can do
it, so can vpnd, so can a number of other programs. read the mailing list
archives, i've listed them before.

Also keep in mind that anyone that can get into your local network can now
get into your work network, so be careful.

Kevin