[pptp-server] PPTPD under NetBSD: Proxy Arp not working?

Darrin B. Jewell jewell at mit.edu
Mon Oct 11 02:25:31 CDT 1999

I have one correction and a few additional notes regarding my
earlier message.

"Darrin B. Jewell" <jewell at mit.edu> writes:
> Do you have the gre(4) pseudo-device compiled into your kernel?
> You will need to remove it for pptp to work on NetBSD.
A simple way to tell if gre(4) is included on your system is
to see if the command "ifconfig -a | grep gre" produces any output.

> Also, does 'tcpdump -v' on walden's real network interface
> show both tcp packets on port 1723 and gre (ip protocol 6) packets?
Oops.  I meant to say ip protocol 47 instead of ip protocol 6.

> "Simson L. Garfinkel" <simsong at vineyard.net> writes:
> > As you can see, pptpd gets started up. It just seems then, though, that the LCP
> > packets from the local machine aren't getting sent to the client, and that
> > requests from the client aren't coming in. I don't know if this has anything to
> > do with the local and remote IP addresses assigned to pptpd or not.
Your log message is consistent with problems caused by the gre(4)
device intercepting packets destined for pppd.

> > I do know that I am not seeing the IP address 192.168.0.235 show up in my ARP
> > table. I'm not sure if I should see it show up or not.
I don't think it should show up in your arp table, but it should show
up in your routing table.  If you try the command "netstat -nr", you
should see a line similar to:

  Internet:
  Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use    Mtu  Interface

  192.168.1.235      192.168.0.235      UH          0        0      -  ppp0

You should also see a line similar to this in the output of "ifconfig -a":

ppp0: flags=8051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet 192.168.0.235 --> 192.168.1.235 netmask 0xffffff00

> > Perhaps the problem is that the pppd doesn't like being run on the other side
> > of a PTY? I don't think so, but I don't have any proof.
In my experience, pppd works fine run from a PTY.

Darrin