[pptp-server] Still need help with PoPToP/SaMBa

Jonathan Finnecy jfinnecy at merical.com
Mon Oct 11 18:51:07 CDT 1999

Well, I first voiced this problem a few weeks ago, and only two people
responded at all (and nothing that worked).  My question now is, has anyone
gotten SaMBa to work over a PPTP connection?  Here is my setup:

RedHat/          Firewall                            Laptop
SaMBa

-----		   -----                               -----
|   |-------------|   |-------{Internet}----{ISP}-----|   |
|   |             |   |                               |   |
-----             -----                               -----
eth0		eth0				      DIAL-UP IP (A.B.C.D)
192.168.X.2	192.168.X.1

			G.H.I.J
			eth1

I have PoPToP v1.0.0 running on the firewall.  I am using Kernel 2.2.5-15,
PPPd v2.3.7.

I have DUN1.3 upgrade on the laptop running under Win95.

I make a dial-up connection to my ISP (in this case Earthlink).  After that
I make the VPN connection to G.H.I.J on the firewall.  This works great.  I
give my laptop the address 192.168.(X+1).101.
After this I can ping the Linux/samba server at 192.168.X.2 and it can ping
me, but it refuses to attempt to log on to the network (and consequently I
can access no resources).  When trying to use any network-related commands
(e.g. "net view \\server") I get an error saying "You must log on to the
network to perform this operation."

FYI...I can dial in to another server inside the firewall over a direct PPP
link and access SaMBa resources no problem using the same IP I am giving to
the VPN client.

I am desperate here.  TCP/IP is working over this VPN link (telnet, ftp,
etc), but my machine refuses to acknowledge the presence of a SaMBa
server.  (Remote announce has been configured for the "VPN network" - I
even tried restarting the samba process after the VPN tunnel was created
with no luck.)  I have log files, tcpdumps, configuration listings, etc.
but I get the feeling that I'm going down a dead-end.  I would love to hear
from anyone who has made this work, or anyone who can help me better debug
it...

Help!

-Jon