[pptp-server] Re: PoPToP/SaMBa problems

Simson L. Garfinkel simsong at vineyard.net
Sat Oct 16 21:44:11 CDT 1999

Jonathan,

You are having precisely the same problem that I was having. I have now sort-of
solved my problems.

Here is what I had to do to get SAMBA working, once I could telnet and ping
over the PPTP VPN:

1. I needed to make changes in my smb.conf file to allow access to the
interface used by the PPP daemon. My pptpd.conf file looks like this:

debug
speed 115200
localip 192.168.0.1
remoteip 192.168.1.1-255

So I needed to give access to the IP address 192.168.0.1 to samba. I did that
with this:

hosts allow = 10. 127. 192.168.
interfaces = 10.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 192.168.0.1/24

2. I needed to create valid reverse DNS for the address 192.168.0.1.

3. Browsing still doesn't work. Nor does typing \\walden\simsong (the name of
the share) in my address bar. But this did work:

    a. Open up a MSDOS command window.
    b. Net use \\walden\simsong
    c. Now, once it is mounted, you can access it.