[pptp-server] IPX

Chris Swan cswan at connectria.com
Mon Oct 25 11:58:23 CDT 1999

----- Original Message -----
From: Hil, A.T.v.d. <A.T.v.d.Hil at tue.nl>
To: <pptp-server at lists.schulte.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 1999 2:55 AM
Subject: [pptp-server] IPX

> I want to enable IPX over the ppp link. Can somebody help me
> with this, if pptp supports this.
>
> When i try to set up an ipx link i get the pppd message:
> IPX support is not present in the kernel.
>
> But i'm sure it is compiled in the kernel. Maybe it's a problem in
pppd

    I've been fighting with this for months, and I can't figure out a
solution.  I finally got IPX to compile clean (with kernel 2.2.13) as
a module, and it gets inserted into the running kernel without errors.
But pptpd ALWAYS says that IPX support is not present in the
kernel--what gives?  If I compile it into the kernel I get no errors
on bootup, but still pptp complains.

    Is it possible pptpd is just not detecting IPX properly?  TMK
posted an IPX howto a while ago, so I'm assuming that _someone_ has it
working.  Can anyone provide a simple test to see if IPX is
functioning correctly on the linux side?

This is a listing of what my /proc/net filesystem looked like after
doing the things mentioned by tmk in the IPX howto:

rosebud:/proc/net# more ipx
Local_Address  Remote_Address              Tx_Queue  Rx_Queue  State
Uid

rosebud:/proc/net# more ipx_route
Network    Router_Net   Router_Node
80FC4D01   Directly     Connected
80FCA001   Directly     Connected

rosebud:/proc/net# more ipx_interface
Network    Node_Address   Primary  Device     Frame_Type
80FCA001   00105A221B1C   Yes      eth0       EtherII
80FC4D01   00105A221B1C   No       eth0       802.3
00000000   00105A221B1C   No       eth0       802.2