[pptp-server] PPTP[6095] error

Chris Swan cswan at connectria.com
Tue Sep 7 14:18:31 CDT 1999

    Finally got the pptpd to work correctly, but...it's slow!  After I
finally got my routing issues straightened out (or so I think), once I
start doing transfers of large amounts of data, my linux box starts
going nuts....the syslog is repeatedly dumping massive amounts of
error messages to the logs in the form of:

Sep  7 14:02:00 rosebud pptpd[6095]: CTRL: EOF or bad error reading
ctrl packet
length.
Sep  7 14:02:00 rosebud pptpd[6095]: CTRL: couldn't read packet header
(exit)
Sep  7 14:02:00 rosebud pptpd[6095]: CTRL: Unexpected control message
0 in disco
nnect sequence

    I searched the archives and couldn't find any discussion of this
error message.  Network transfers are painfully slow, and will usually
abort before the entire operation completes.  Note that speed for
clients on a local, 100mbit LAN averages about 300KB/s--but remote
users on on cable modem connection can barely get any data
through--the pipe seems to be idle most of the time.

    Using pptpd 0.9.14 and ppp 2.3.8.  Clients are Win98, Win98SE, or
WinNT4 clients.