[pptp-server] pptpd 0.9.16 / Win98 performance problem

Neale Banks neale at lowendale.com.au
Sun Sep 12 22:26:26 CDT 1999

On Fri, 10 Sep 1999, Chris Hyde wrote:

> If I leave the ping going it will sit quite happily at ~30ms. As soon
> as I tranfer a lot of data - it doesn't have to be a website, do an
> ftp or anything that starts sending large amounts of data down the link,
> then the ping time will rise and huge packet loss will occur.
>
> Any more info, or debugging I can do let me know.
[...]

Do we know for certain that this is in pptp and not the overlying ppp? For
example, is the problem observed running the same ppp config to the same
server over a modem link?

Alternatively, is there some way of testing the GRE component
independently of the ppp?

IIRC there was a GRE-traceroute kicking around somewhere - could that be
hacked to some advantage here?

Neale.