[pptp-server] createHostSocket: Address already in use

bmbr bmbr at orbital.icelab.net
Mon Sep 20 14:44:30 CDT 1999

ok, i feel like a real idiot for having to ask this, so spare the flames,
i already feel bad enough ;)

i'm runnin redhat linux kernel 2.2.5, with PPP support..

whenever i attempt to start the server, it gives me that message.. i've
checked my inetd.conf, and it isnt using that port anywhere, nor does it
show up in netstat -a.

i'm thinking that i may be a configuration problem, however, i haven't
found enough documentation on the conf's to really tell for sure..

here is how they currently look:

/etc/pptpd.conf

<snip>
localip 10.10.10.1-10	#these are the addresses im using for my int. lan
remoteip 198.243.125.1-254	#these are the addies that connections
will be coming in on (im assuming?)

/etc/ppp/options
lock
debug
name servername
auth
require-chap
proxyarp

/etc/ppp/chap-secrets

# Secrets for authentication using CHAP
# client        server  secret                  IP addresses

----

this is an area that led to a little bit of confusion on my part.. in the
HOWTO, it said:
billy	severname	bob	*

now, i left this out, because i figured it had nothing to do with my
configuration, and was simply there as an example, but i'm kind of in the
dark.

I'm *quite* new to PPTP in general, and somewhat (6 months or so) new to
linux in general, so any help that could be offered would be GREATLY
appreciated!

Thanks!

------
bmbr
bmbr at icelab.net

May the flames from the bridges I burn light my way...