[pptp-server] Cannot determine ethernet address for proxy ARP

tmk tmk at netmagic.net
Thu Sep 30 12:52:49 CDT 1999

sure. this is a common problem. basically, you have proxyarp as an option
for pppd. ARP is teh mechanism that tcp/ip (and others) use to determine
if an address is present on the local network or not. For an ip to be
reachable without routing (present on the local network) it has to be in
teh she same subnet as the rest of the computers.

You have most likely chosen local/remote ip addresses that are not on the
same subnet as the 'protected' network. There is no point in using ARP if
your clients are on a different subnet.

to fix it, change the local/remote ips to addresses on your protected
network, or disable proxyarp and use routing

you will also need t be sure that ip forwarding and proxy arp are enabled
in the kernel.. to do this you do:
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

and i think it is similar for proxy arp. like:
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ethernet/all/proxy_arp
not 100% sure on the second one. hunt around

for routing to work, the computers on the protected netowrk need to have
the linux box as a gateway

Kevin