[pptp-server] pppd smb authentication (was: truly newbie)

John Van Ostrand john at netdirect.ca
Mon Apr 24 08:00:39 CDT 2000

Setting up WINS is easy if you have Samba. Simply put the following line in
the [global] section of the /etc/smb.conf file:

	wins support = yes

This line is likely already there but commented out.

Alternatively if you have an NT server you can add in the WINS service.

Then to use WINS you'll have to setup each Windows workstations (and non
WINS Samba server) to use your new WINS server. This is required because
each system needs to register itself with the WINS server. This is how WINS
works. You can either manually configure the WINS server in the Network
Control Panel applet or, if you have a DHCP server setup the "option netbios
name servers" line. A DHCP server is available for Linux, watch out though,
one is a DHCP client daemon - dhcpcd, the other is the server. If you
install this read the dhcp-options man page.

John.