[pptp-server] KeepAlive / Heartbeat

Ronnie F. Moller, Jr. support at redware.net
Fri Aug 4 18:59:12 CDT 2000

I am using a PPTP Client on linux, and have a script that runs every minute
from cron, the script is the following:

ping -c 1 172.16.1.4 ||	/etc/rc.d/init.d/pptp restart

what I have noticed is that ping sometimes fails during high latency, when
the connection is just busy / overloaded temporarily. Is there a better way
to test, so that if it fails 5 times in a row, then it would call the
restart. If it where to get 1 succesful ping out of 5, then I would assume
that it is a good connection, just busy.

Thanks