[pptp-server] ipchains killed my networking?!?!

Josh Massie Josh at pollstar.com
Tue Aug 8 14:36:26 CDT 2000

What kernel version are you running?  Did you recompile when you loaded IPChains?  Do your NIC drivers (and lo) load as modules, and if so can you verify the modules loaded?

What does ifconfig say?   I've found that one of my RH boxes requires explicitly downing and re-upping the network interfaces after a reboot (but only occasionally, argh!).

Try reconfiging and recompiling the latest kernel.  I often beat myself about the head and neck because I missed something important in the kernel config (or in my haste to bail all the extra garbage RH puts in, I dump something I want later, like IP support :-) ).

Don't dump the system yet.  There's still hope.

josh massie
extranet administrator
pollstar.com

email:   josh at pollstar.com
phone: (559) 271-7977 x 4477
fax:      (559) 271-7979

http://www.pollstar.com

>>> Elliott Stern <estern at opennetwork.com> 08/08/00 10:23AM >>>
Maybe someone here can give me a hand with this.  After setting up and
testing PoPToP on a new computer, I decided to make a ipchains firewall
to protect the box.  Well, now my system has no networking
capabilities.  I have reset my computer and run 'ipchains -L' to verify
that all rules are clear and that the default policy for all chains is
ACCEPT, but I still can't get my networking to work (including the
loopback interface).  When I bring up the loopback interface, I get a
message: "SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable".  I have even tried
shutting down and unplugging the power for 15-20 seconds to clear the
cache, but that isn't helping.  Anyone have any ideas?

-Elliott

--
Elliott Stern
estern at opennetwork.com